Monday, September 19, 2016

Juicy Ham & Leek Quiche


Obviously this is not an Austrian dish but a French one. However, as it is one of my favorite dishes and I’m cooking it every other week this definitely deserves a place on my food blog.

I am proud to say that I learned how to make a quiche from a real French person. All my life I was a very picky eater. You could hunt me with vegetables and healthy food all the same. Until I was twenty or so, that was okay because my metabolism was glorious. But all good things come to an end and so my metabolism decided to settle down a bit as it is dignified for an older age. Add that my doctor was a bit horrified upon my high cholesterol levels and I knew I had to change my eating habits.
Around the same time I went on a university exchange semester to Vancouver. Not only did I start eating healthier there I also got more open-minded about trying new food. I became friends with some lovely French girls there, who were also on exchange, and you can probably guess that they introduced me to quiches. My friend Adeline gave me this recipe and although I changed one ingredient the rest stayed the same, so all the credit goes to her.

My friend Adeline uses heavy cream instead of sour cream, but we Austrians use sour cream often in our dishes. As this is a bit healthier and not as fat as heavy cream I prefer it this way. Moreover, I spread a lot more cheese on top of the quiche but that is a matter of taste.

The Ham & Leek Quiche is my favorite one, but you can do a lot of different versions. I also really like Smoked Salmon & Spinach Quiche. Just make sure to squeeze the liquid out of the spinach beforehand if you use frozen one and do not roast the salmon before putting it in the crust.
In fall you can also make a very tasty Bacon & Pumpkin Quiche. However, I always shred the pumpkin to very small pieces (just before it gets pulpy), because I don’t like big chunks in my quiche. That is why I am not putting brokkoli in my quiches anymore either. I tried a Ham & Brokkoli Quiche once and was just too annoyed by the brokkoli chunks.

If you have a bit of time a quiche is a delicious option for dinner or a weekend lunch! Bon Appétit!


Prep Time:
15 minutes
Baking Time:
45 minutes
Total Time:
60 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: French
Servings: 4
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner

Ingredients:
·   quiche crust/pie crust (9 inches or bigger)
·   6-8 Oz. deli ham
·   1 leek
·   8 Oz. sour cream
·   3 eggs
·   4 Oz. Swiss cheese or Cheddar, shredded (or more if preferred)
·   Salt & Pepper, 1 tbsp. vegetable oil


Ingredients:
·   quichy crust/pie crust (23 cm or bigger)
·   150 – 200 g deli ham
·   1 leek
·   250 g of sour cream
·    3 eggs
·    100 g of Swiss cheese or Chedar, shredded (or more if preferred)
·    Salt & Pepper, 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 390 °F/200 °C, grease a quiche or tarte form (25 cm) and place the pie crust in it. If the pie crust is big enough roll a bit of it to a rim at the edge.

2. Cut the ham and leek in small pieces and sauté them in a pan with 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil. Season the ham and leek with a bit of salt and pepper.

3. Whisk together 3 eggs and the sour cream and season it with salt and a bit of pepper.

4. Place the ham and leek in the crust and fill it up with the eggs & sour cream-mixture. Spread the grated cheese evenly on top.

5. Bake the quiche in the oven at 390 °F/200° C for approx. 45 minutes until the top is lightly and evenly browned. Serve with a green salad or nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author