Monday, September 19, 2016

Crunchy Walnut Cake


I recently remembered this delicious cake my grandma used to make and immediately decided to bake it myself for the first time. It has two layers, one fluffy cake layer and one crunchy nutty layer.


My grandma used to bake a cake every week for the informal afternoon coffee on Sundays. My mom and her siblings almost went every week and from time to time my siblings, I and my cousin would join them. Now she is over 90 years old and is not quite up to the task of baking anymore but rather gives instructions to her live-in nurse. Usually these cakes are pretty good but they are not quite as good as when my grandma used to make them herself.

So I always thought to make this fabulous walnut cake, you need “professional” baking skills as only my mom and grandma have. Turns out I was wrong and this is super easy to make! I am not quite sure yet if this discovery is a good thing for my bikini body but winter is coming anyway and who needs a good bikini body then.
This cake will taste good for several days up to one week. The cake layer is so fluffy and the nut layer is deliciously crunchy. Of course it tastes the best right out of the oven, but almost everything does. 

Prep Time:10 minutes
Baking Time:
45 minutes
Total Time:
55 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: Austrian
Recipe type: Dessert

Ingredients:
·        1/2 cup of butter
·        4 eggs (middle-sized)
·        5/8 cups & 1/2 cup of sugar
·        1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
·        1 cup of walnuts, finely grated


Ingredients:
·        100 g butter
·        4 eggs (middle-sized)
·        140 g & 100 g of sugar
·        140 g all-purpose flour
·        100 g walnuts, finely grated
Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 325 °F/165 °C and grease a baking form.

2. Separate 2 eggs in yolks and egg whites. Mix butter, 2 whole eggs, 5/8 (or 140g) cups of sugar and the 2 yolks until evenly combined. Then add flour slowly while stirring. Fill the batter in the greased baking form.

3. Whisk with a hand mixer until you have foamy beaten egg whites. Then stir in carefully the remaining (1/2 cups or 100 g of) sugar and the finely grated walnuts until evenly combined. Spread the nut batter evenly on top of the cake batter in the baking form.

4. Bake at 325 °F/165 °C for approximately 45 minutes. Use a stick to test if the cake is done. It is finished baking when the nut batter on top is firm and the cake batter below is not sticky anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author