Sunday, October 16, 2016

Creamy Pumpkin Sauce with Bacon & Feta


It’s fall! That means it is finally pumpkin time! The delicious sweet, earthy taste and the low amount of calories make pumpkins perfect for a variety of dishes. I love me some pumpkin pasta, so this is what I made!
Did you know that a region in Austria, namely Styria, is famous for its Pumpkin Seed Oil? Austrians love it and call it “Black Gold”. Naturally, this means we are not only pumpkin seed fans, but like to eat the rest of the fruit as well.

However, can you believe that my grandma used to say that pumpkins were just food for the pigs? And she meant that literally! My grandmother’s family had a farm and they only used the pumpkins to feed the oinking piggies. Are you as scandalized as I was? Fortunately, there was quite a pumpkin revolution since then and now there is no fall without pumpkin, as there is no spring without asparagus.
 This creamy pumpkin sauce tastes so delicious, that I was standing in the kitchen one hour after dinner and ate some more cold leftovers directly from the pot. Does this mean I cannot restrain myself when it comes to food? Probably. (Scratch that, I know it is ‘definitely’.)

The sweet pumpkin taste complements the savory bacon and feta cheese and the creamy texture of the sauce is perfect for pasta. I bought a Hokkaido pumpkin for this, as is it is already quite sweet but not as sweet as a Butternut. However, I tried this with a Butternut pumpkin once and it was very good as well. The Hokkaido has fewer calories than a Butternut, this is why I prefer it at the moment. I am trying to save calories where I can… but obviously it would have been a good choice just to cut out the parmesan cheese and bread I enjoyed this pasta with… But you can’t really eat pasta without these two things, am I right?
 Anyway, give this a go, if you love pumpkin as much as I do and let me know how it turned out!

Prep Time:
10 minutes
Cooking Time:
20 minutes
Total Time:
30 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: Austrian
Servings: 2-3
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner

Ingredients:
·   Hokkaido pumpkin, middle-sized
·   water
·   1 bouillon cube
·   3.5 Oz. bacon, in small pieces
·   3 tbsp. heavy cream
·   2.5 Oz. feta cheese, cubed
·   Salt & Pepper, Pasta, Parmesan Cheese

Ingredients:
·   Hokkaido pumpkin, middle-sized
·   water
·   1 bouillon cube
·   100 grams bacon, in small pieces
·   3 tbsp. heavy cream
·   70 grams feta cheese, cubed
·   Salt & Pepper, Pasta, Parmesan Cheese
Instructions:

1.      Cut the pumpkin into small cubes (remove the core with the seeds). Put them in a pot, cover with water (just enough to cover all pieces) and cook until tender. When the water starts to cook, crumble in the bouillon cube as well.

2.     Pour the pumpkin pieces including the water in a blender and mix it until you have a fine, creamy sauce.

3.     Place the bacon pieces in a pot and cook on high until crispy, then pour in the pumpkin sauce. Turn down heat, stir in the heavy cream and let it simmer for a few minutes.

4.     Stir in the feta cheese cubes and finish with a bit of salt and pepper. Serve with your preferred pasta and parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author