Monday, October 17, 2016

Gooey Brioche Bake (Kipferlschmarrn)


Do you have old croissants or dinner rolls that are already a bit stale or dried up? This gooey brioche bake is the perfect dish to use those leftovers.
I pondered a while on an English title for this dish, because nobody except Austrians and Bavarians know what a ‘Kipferl’ is. Since you can also use croissants, dinner rolls or e.g. old brioche for this dish, it is not problematic if you do not have Kipferl. As it is made with Kipferl traditionally, however, I will tell you a bit about the Austrian Kipferl.

Drum roll please. Ta-da! May I introduce you to one of the best culinary breakfast inventions ever? I am walking to the bakery around the corner every Saturday and Sunday to get one of those for breakfast. And it does not get old… well, at least my taste for it, the ‘Kipferl’ itself does get old and that is the whole purpose for this great recipe.


The Legend of the Great Kipferl tells that the Austrians invented this pastry to mock the crescent moon symbol of the Turks after the Second Siege of Vienna by the Ottoman Empire (17th century). As Austrians still talk about these two victories over the Turks, this does not seem far-fetched. 

However, the Kipferl really was invented by an Austrian baker in my hometown in the 12th century. There is also a nice little story how the pastry allegedly gave the French croissant its crescent moon shape. Marie Antoinette, who had a thing for sweet dishes, as everybody knows with her ‘let them eat cake’ phrase (and I know she probably never said that), was actually an Austrian princess (Maria Antonia) before she married the king of France. Some say that she brought the concept of the Kipferl with her to France and therefore croissants have the shape of a crescent moon.

Although much is known about the Kipferl in Austria and my mother frequently bakes this dish, my family never managed to write down a recipe. When I asked my mom about this, she just told me the ingredients and said: I do not have any measurements for this. I always make this ‘by feeling’. Great, that helps. So I made it 'by feeling' as well and it turned out really good! As I do not expect you to make this by feeling, as you do not know how it should taste, I wrote down the measurements for the mixture. I used a relatively small baking dish and approximately 1 ½ Kipferl for this. Just cut the old pastries or rolls into slices and put as many in the baking dish as fit in it.

This is so gooey and delicious when it comes out of the oven and I usually eat this right out of the baking dish with a spoon. And it is great cold as well, maybe even greater! There are way more sophisticated recipes for this dish; however, I always liked about my family's-'feeling'-recipe that you only need ingredients you usually have at home.


Prep Time:
5 minutes
Baking Time:
30 minutes
Total Time:
35 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: Austrian
Recipe type: Dessert
Ingredients:
·   old croissants, dinner rolls, brioche
·   ¾ to 1 cup of milk
·   1 egg
·   2 tbsp. of sugar
·   2 tbsp. of melted butter
·   ½ tsp. of cinnamon
·   confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Ingredients:
·   old croissants, dinner rolls, brioche
·   200 ml cup of milk
·   1 egg
·   2 tbsp. of sugar
·   2 tbsp. of melted butter
·   ½ tsp. of cinnamon
·   confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Instructions:

1.   Preaheat oven to 400° F/200° C. Cut old croissants, dinner roll and/or brioche into slices and place them into a greased baking dish (I used an oval baking dish, approx. 9,8 x 6 inches).

2.   Whisk together milk, sugar, melted butter, egg and cinnamon. Pour over croissant pieces.

3.   Bake in the oven for approx. 30 minutes. After 5 minutes of baking squish everything down gently with a spoon, so that the pieces on top will also get soaked in the mixture.

4.   Take the bake out of the oven, when it is not runny anymore. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author