Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Mom's Potato Stew (Erdäpfelgulasch)


This Austrian Potato Stew is the perfect meal for a cold, rainy fall day as it is today. It has a rich flavor and warms your soul and belly!

I always had an aversion to potatoes and being a picky eater for years, I have to confess I am still not quite over that. I will eat potatoes in many forms as long as it does not resemble and taste like the original vegetable anymore, e.g. fries, wedges, croquettes, mashed potatoes etc. Just please fry away that potato taste first!
Naturally, when I was a child I would not eat this potato stew. First, I informed my mother that I would not eat the huge cheese cubes in the stew. Then, when she told me, that they were in fact potato cubes, I was outraged all the more. Me! Eating potato cubes! Most definitely not! Over the years however, my mom convinced me that this “Goulash” was delicious and now I am even cooking it myself, because my boyfriend and I like it so much!

For this recipe to work it is important to choose the right ingredients, which can be a bit tricky if you are not in Austria.
First of all, you have to choose the right potatoes. In Austria as well as Germany we have two main types of potatoes: waxy and floury. (I used to drive my mom crazy because I could never remember which type is used for what and asked her the same question about ten times when I moved into my own apartment.)

In Canada and the USA potatoes are not just labelled “waxy” and “floury”, so I did a bit of research and decided that Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes should work for this recipe. Russets are probably better but if you already have Yukon Gold at home, this will work as well.

The next ingredient is even trickier. In German-speaking Europe we love our sausages. Not just as Bratwurst and Bavarian Weisswurst and so on but also the endless varieties of deli meats. When I was in Vancouver on exchange I often went to Granville Island and treated myself to some expensive German deli meats, because supermarkets in my area lacked variety in that department (at least for an Austrian).

For my Potato Stew I use Austrian “Knacker”. It kind of tastes like Bologna but as you can see on the picture below it comes in a different form.
So the easiest would be to just use hot dogs/franks, although it will taste a bit differently because“Knacker” is made out of pork AND beef. After browsing some American supermarket websites, I found a possible substitute: a bologna ring. Ideally, it should contain a mix of pork and beef meat, e.g. like Koegel’s bologna ring. I am not sure it will taste the same, but I think it gets close.

Of course, if you want to make the stew vegetarian and skip the meat, it is possible as well! Furthermore, if you cook the Potato Stew for dinner and have leftovers, it also makes a great work lunch the next day. A Goulash will always taste even better after warming it up again. Anyway let me know, how it works out!

Prep Time:
15 minutes
Cooking Time:
25 minutes
Total Time:
40 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: Austrian
Servings: 2-3
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner

Ingredients:
·        4 big floury potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold),
peeled and cubed
·        yellow onion (middle-sized),
finely chopped
·        approx. 8 ounces of bologna ring meat (e.g. Koegel’s), cubed or hot dogs, sliced
·        water
·        1-2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
·        Paprika, marjoram (dried) & vegetable oil
·        1 beef cube bouillon (e.g. Knorr)


Ingredients:
·        4 big floury potatoes (Russet),
peeled and cubed
·        yellow onion (middle-sized),
finely chopped
·        approx. 250-260 grams of bologna ring meat (e.g. Koegel’s) or franks, cubed
·        water
·        1-2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
·        Paprika, marjoram (dried) & vegetable oil
·        1 beef cube bouillon (e.g. Knorr)
Instructions:

1.      Heat some vegetable oil on high in a big pot, add the finely chopped onion and cook until tender.

2.     Add the cubed and peeled potatoes and roast them for approx. 1 minute, then sprinkle 1-2 tbsp. of flour over the potatoes and onions and mix quickly.

3.     Add water until everything in the pot is covered and turn the heat to medium. Stir in 2-3 tbsp. of Paprika and 1-2 tbsp. of dried marjoram as well as the crumbled beef cube bouillon. Mix everything together and add the cubed bologna or franks/hot dogs.

4.     Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened (at least 15 minutes or longer). If it does not taste rich enough add more Paprika and/or half a beef cube. If the stew is not thick enough, fish out a few potato cubes, mash them with a fork and stir them in again.

5.      Serve with bread, rolls, baguette or ciabatta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author