Friday, November 11, 2016

Tasty Salmon & Spinach-Spaghetti


If you need a quick but delicious dinner or lunch, this is the perfect recipe.

This is a really simple recipe but appears to be refined and tastes phenomenal, at least in my opinion. Maybe it is the smoked salmon and spinach combination, but your guests or family would never think that you whipped this up in no time. I have made this several times for guests and always received enthusiastic responses.
Obviously, the sauce is as healthy as it is unhealthy. All the healthy aspects of salmon and spinach get outweighed by the use of heavy cream. However, to make it a bit more healthyyou can substitute half of the heavy cream with milk and you will probably do not taste much difference. I actually wanted to this, when I recently made it for dinner and wrote down all measurements for the recipe, but as usual my boyfriend had drunk all the milk and did not tell me that it would be a good idea to buy new milk (men… *sigh*).
 For a creamy and thicker texture of the sauce it is important to make a roux in the beginning. I would definitely recommend using unsalted butter for this. In Austria, unsalted butter is the standard. I am sure we are able to buy salted butter as well but I never looked for it in stores, so I don’t really know( I confess I am a salted butter-hater). Austrians are more like: If you want salted butter, just salt it…duh. The reason I recommend unsalted butter though, is that the smoked salmon is already very salty, so you do not want to overdo it. Also, if you are not a fan of bouillon cubes, I am quite sure that the intense flavor of the salmon alone can be enough, but you still might need some other spices.
I served this (to myself haha) with bread sticks made out of pre-made pizza dough and I dotted it with garlic herb butter (also bought ready-made). Serving pasta with bread is my new weakness because it tastes so fabulous together but let’s be honest: It is kind of a carb binge. Whatever. I reserve the right to feel guilty about it AFTER dinner otherwise it will just ruin a fantastic meal.
Last but not least because the spinach and salmon are just so healthy and I don’t know if my body can take that much vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids, I sprinkled parmesan cheese on top. Because you might be able to serve pasta without bread, but, come on, without parmesan cheese it would be sacrilegious!

Prep Time:
5 minutes
Cooking Time:
10 minutes
Total Time:
15 minutes
Author: Martina | Made in Austria
Cuisine: Austrian
Servings: 2-3
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner
Ingredients:
·   1 tbsp. unsalted butter
·   1 ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour
·   8-9 Oz. heavy cream
·   1 bouillon cube
·   3 frozen cubes of chopped spinach
·   4-5 Oz. of smoked salmon
Ingredients:
·   1 tbsp. unsalted butter
·   1 ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour
·   250 ml heavy cream
·   1 bouillon cube
·   3 frozen cubes of chopped spinach
·   150 grams smoked salmon
Instructions:

1.   Cook the frozen spinach in a small pot as instructed on the package. Meanwhile cut the salmon into small bits. Set the spinach aside for a moment.

2.   Make a roux: Melt 1 tbsp.of butter on medium heat in a pot until it is a bit frothy. Then add the flour and stir constantly until the paste is golden. Pour in the heavy cream and keep stirring. Next add the bouillon cube. If you have any lumps in the sauce keep stirring with a whisk until everything is smooth.

3.   Finally, add the smoked salmon and spinach and stir until evenly combined.

4.   Serve with spaghetti and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author